Marilyn on Hollywood
- First, I'm trying to prove to myself that I'm a person. Then maybe I'll convince myself that I'm an actress.
- My work is the only ground I've ever had to stand on. I seem to have a whole superstructure with no foundation but I'm working on the foundation.
- Dreaming about being an actress, is more exciting then being one.
- Hollywood is a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul.
- An actress is not a machine, but they treat you like a machine. A money machine.
Marilyn Monroe's Wit
- A sex symbol becomes a thing. I just hate to be a thing.
- What do I wear in bed? Why, Chanel No. 5, of course.
- It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.
- Dogs never bite me. Just humans.
- I don't mind making jokes, but I don't want to look like one.
- I don't want to make money, I just want to be wonderful.
- I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.
Marilyn Monroe on Marriage.
- I guess I have always been deeply terrified to really be someone's wife since I know from life one cannot love another, ever, really.
- Husbands are chiefly good as lovers when they are betraying their wives.
- I have feelings too. I am still human. All I want is to be loved, for myself and for my talent.
- Before marriage, a girl has to make love to a man to hold him. After marriage, she has to hold him to make love to him.
- I have too many fantasies to be a housewife. I guess I am a fantasy.
- Men are so willing to respect anything that bores them.